- 1 What are the signs of a bad belt tensioner?
- 2 How do I know if my tensioner pulley bearing is bad?
- 3 How do you know when to replace a belt tensioner?
- 4 How much does it cost to get a belt tensioner replaced?
- 5 What does a bad belt tensioner sound like?
- 6 Can I drive with a bad belt tensioner?
- 7 What kind of noise does a bad idler pulley make?
- 8 Can you drive with a bad idler pulley?
- 9 How much does it cost to replace idler pulley?
- 10 Can you tighten a tensioner pulley?
- 11 Is the belt tensioner supposed to move?
- 12 How much does it cost to fix a tensioner pulley?
- 13 Can a belt tensioner be repaired?
- 14 How much does it cost to replace timing chain tensioner?
What are the signs of a bad belt tensioner?
Symptoms of a Bad or Failing Drive Belt Tensioner
- Grinding or squeaking noise from the belts or tensioner. The most common symptom of a bad or failing drive belt tensioner is noise from the belts or tensioner.
- Unusual belt wear. Another symptom of a potential problem with the drive belt tensioner is unusual belt wear.
- Belt-driven accessories fail.
How do I know if my tensioner pulley bearing is bad?
Symptoms of a Bad or Failing Idler Pulley
- Visibly worn pulleys. One of the first symptoms of an issue with an idler pulley is visible wear on the pulley.
- Belt squealing. Another common symptom of a possible issue with the idler pulley is squealing from the engine belts.
- Damaged bearing or pulley.
How do you know when to replace a belt tensioner?
Appearance: Cycle the tensioner (mounted on the engine) through the entire range of motion (from stop to stop) by applying torque to the arm with a wrench. The tensioner arm should move smoothly and freely. Solution: If you notice a binding, sticking or grinding tensioner arm, the tensioner should be replaced.
How much does it cost to get a belt tensioner replaced?
The average cost for drive belt tensioner replacement is between $213 and $241. Labor costs are estimated between $74 and $93 while parts are priced between $139 and $147. This range does not include taxes and fees, and does not factor in your unique location. Related repairs may also be needed.
What does a bad belt tensioner sound like?
When the tensioner or tensioner pulley fails, the loss of tension can cause the belt and pulleys to make high-pitched rattling or chirping noises. If the pulley bearing completely fails, it can also cause a squealing or even a grinding noise. Symptom 2: Knocking or slapping. This can cause a slapping or knocking noise.
Can I drive with a bad belt tensioner?
”It is not safe to drive with a bad belt tensioner because the belt tensioner ensures sufficient tension to power the accessories. As the tensioner wears, the belt can slip at the accessories creating noise, excessive heat at the accessory pulleys, and reduce accessory performance.
What kind of noise does a bad idler pulley make?
Squealing. When the engine is idling, a bad pulley may make a squealing sound. This is due to the bearings in the pulley going bad. The bearings may also make various other sounds such as clattering or even a rumbling sound, making the vehicle sound as if there was much more wrong than a bad pulley.
Can you drive with a bad idler pulley?
So, how long can you drive with a bad idler pulley? The safety recommendation is not to drive the car at all and take it to a mechanic immediately. You should be concerned if the vehicle makes squeaking or rattling noises. The car can still run for months or break after a few days.
How much does it cost to replace idler pulley?
The total price to replace the idler pulley typically ranges between $80 and $200, with the parts ranging between $40 and $90, and the total labor cost averaged between $40 and $110.
Can you tighten a tensioner pulley?
Tighten the tensioner pulley by turning the adjustment bolt clockwise with the ratchet and socket until the belt is tight. Tighten the bolt in the center of the pulley with the ratchet and socket.
Is the belt tensioner supposed to move?
Similarly, is a belt tensioner supposed to move? Appearance: Move the tensioner arm (tensioner being mounted on the engine) through its entire range of motion with a wrench. There should be resistance to this movement. Other indicators are belt squeal from slippage, or loss of rotation of a belt-driven component.
How much does it cost to fix a tensioner pulley?
You will pay somewhere between $125 and $380 to have your tensioner pulley replaced. The labor should run between $45 and $155, while parts can cost as little as $85 or as much as $225.
Can a belt tensioner be repaired?
If you have a bad spring or hydraulic drive belt tensioner, it is not repairable. It will need to be replaced with a new one. Also replace the drive belt at the same time.
How much does it cost to replace timing chain tensioner?
The average cost for timing chain tensioner replacement is between $906 and $1,108. Labor costs are estimated between $764 and $964 while parts are priced between $141 and $144.