- 1 Do you need to change the timing chain on a BMW?
- 2 Which BMW engines have timing chain Problems?
- 3 How do I know if my timing chain is bad on my BMW?
- 4 How much does it cost to fix BMW timing chain?
- 5 When should a timing chain be changed?
- 6 Does BMW have timing chain or belt?
- 7 What are common problems with BMW?
- 8 Do BMW petrol engines have timing chain Problems?
- 9 How do I find out what engine my BMW has?
- 10 Is it worth fixing a timing chain?
- 11 Can you replace a timing chain yourself?
- 12 What does a bad timing chain sound like?
- 13 Will a car start if timing is off?
Do you need to change the timing chain on a BMW?
BMW and MINI use Timing Chains in almost every model of engine that they produce.It is recommended to replace your timing chain before failure as repair prices can become very high from internal engine damage. From experience the life of these timing chains are 90,000 miles or 9 years.
Which BMW engines have timing chain Problems?
BMW Diesel Engine – Timing Chain Failure
BMW timing chains have snapped on a range of models across the 1, 3 & 5 Series, most commonly affecting the N47 diesel. We also rebuild M57 & N57 diesel engines, BMW petrol engines & also BMW Minis.
How do I know if my timing chain is bad on my BMW?
Common signs of a faulty timing chain include engine misfires, metal shavings found in the oil, and rattling sounds from the engine while idling.
- Engine misfires or runs poorly.
- Metal shavings found in the oil.
- Engine won’t start or fails.
- Check Engine Light is on.
- Engine rattles while idling.
How much does it cost to fix BMW timing chain?
The Best in Auto Repair
The average cost for a BMW 328i timing chain tensioner replacement is between $707 and $857. Labor costs are estimated between $572 and $721 while parts are priced at $136.
When should a timing chain be changed?
Every time you use the engine, the timing chain is in use. When does a timing chain need to be replaced? The timing chain normally needs to be replaced between 80,000 and 120,000 miles unless there is a specific problem. Issues with the chain are common in higher mileage vehicles.
Does BMW have timing chain or belt?
More and more cars are fitted with a timing chain. In general, Mercedes and BMWs are equipped with timing chains.
What are common problems with BMW?
The 4 Most Common BMW Problems & Repairs
- Engine Cooling System. A common issue many BMW owners face is their vehicle overheating.
- Oil Leaks.
- Steering Wheel Vibrations Under Braking.
- Tail Lamp Assembly.
Do BMW petrol engines have timing chain Problems?
BMW Petrol Engine – Timing Chain Problems
A range of BMW petrol engines in cars registered between 2001 to 2015 appear to have a design problem affecting the timing chain or tensioner. The engine timing chain is very weak – it stretches over time, and ultimately snaps.
How do I find out what engine my BMW has?
BMWs list the VIN on the left side of the dash looking in through the windshield or in the right inner fender. The fourth through eighth number in the VIN indicate features including the engine type.
Is it worth fixing a timing chain?
A timing chain runs inside the engine, as it needs to be lubricated by the engine oil. A timing belt typically needs to be replaced between 40,000 and 100,000 miles depending on the vehicle. A timing chain doesn’t need to be replaced unless there is a problem with it.
Can you replace a timing chain yourself?
You may find the need to replace your timing chain at some point; however with the right tools, a service manual and some mechanical know-how, you can do it yourself. Just be aware that this is a major job and can have serious consequences for your engine if done incorrectly.
What does a bad timing chain sound like?
A bad timing chain will often emit a rattling sound for a few minutes before the engine warms up, and then will lower in intensity or dissipate altogether after it warms up.
Will a car start if timing is off?
It could start and run poorly, or it could start and run for a moment until one of the valves contacts a piston. Or it could not run at all. If you’re unsure if the timing is off, it’s not a bad idea to turn the engine over by hand to make sure the engine rotates without any interference.