- 1 What is a BMW SMG pump?
- 2 What does SMG transmission stand for?
- 3 How do you bleed a SMG pump?
- 4 How do I change my SMG fluid?
- 5 How does BMW SMG transmission work?
- 6 Is SMG dual clutch?
- 7 Does SMG transmission have a clutch?
- 8 How does a SMG work?
- 9 Can SMG drive like automatic?
- 10 How do you check SMG fluid levels?
What is a BMW SMG pump?
The SMG pump (pictured below) is similar to an ABS pump in both appearance and function, but controls the hydraulic pressures in the transmission and not the brake system. This is a common and very strong indicator that the pump assembly itself has indeed failed.
What does SMG transmission stand for?
Although the name “SMG” was an abbreviation of “Sequential Manual Gearbox“, the transmission internal were as per a typical (synchromesh-equipped) manual transmission, not a true sequential manual transmission. The SMG was replaced by the SMG-II when the E46 M3 was introduced in 2000.
How do you bleed a SMG pump?
Benbarrett Wearing official underwear
- Plug car into laptop, open INPA and turn the car ignition on but dont start it.
- Press F9 to open special tests.
- Double click on ‘SMG Adaptation for Sequential M-Gearbox’.
- Press F1 then F8 to bleed gearbox actuator and let it run through the test.
How do I change my SMG fluid?
- Undo the fill port on the SMG black plastic reservoir.
- Put in a small hose (I’m assuming that there is no mesh / filter there) and pump out all the fluid.
- Put the fill plug back in place
How does BMW SMG transmission work?
The SMG does that electronically. It adjusts the engine speed and pushes in the lower gear as soon as all parameters match. As a result, the SMG allows you to change gears without noticeable power interruption. You can basically give full throttle and shift up and down as you like.
Is SMG dual clutch?
BMW Shifts Gears: SMG out, new seven-speed, double clutch gearbox in. Wave goodbye to BMW’s SMG sequential manual gearbox and say hello to its new DCG double clutch gearbox. Key to the DCG’s operation are its two oil-cooled wet clutches, one for the even gears and one for the odd gears and reverse.
Does SMG transmission have a clutch?
First, note that the SMG system is not an automatic transmission than can be shifted manually – like BMW’s Steptronic or Porsche’s Tiptronic – it is a manual transmission with a clutch, but without a clutch pedal, that can change gears by itself in response to driver input.
How does a SMG work?
SMG stands for Sequential Manual Gearbox. It’s actually the same manual gearbox that is found in the cars with a clutch pedal, but instead of having the clutch foot operated, it has the clutch electro-hydaulically operated via a pump and wired to computers.
Can SMG drive like automatic?
While the SMG does feature an automatic mode, using it is a disservice not only to you, the driver, but to the car itself. These cars love to be flogged, and they repay that abuse in spades.
How do you check SMG fluid levels?
Open the hood
- first, open your SMG reservoir.
- use a flat head screwdriver and hammer to lightly tap the cap to break the seal. (
- opening the cap first will allow you to close it hand tight so its easily ready to check after priming the system.