- 1 Why do BMW Water Pumps Fail?
- 2 How much does it cost to replace BMW water pump?
- 3 Can you drive a car with a bad water pump?
- 4 When should I replace my BMW water pump?
- 5 What are signs of bad water pump?
- 6 How can you tell if your water pump is going bad?
- 7 How long do BMW electric water pumps last?
- 8 What kind of noise does a bad water pump make?
- 9 Can I replace a water pump myself?
- 10 How many hours does it take to replace a water pump?
- 11 How do you bleed a water pump?
Why do BMW Water Pumps Fail?
BMW water pumps in particular can begin to fail near the 80,000-mile mark. The water pump is made of a plastic material, and over time it’s normal for the plastic to begin cracking and corroding. Other issues with water pumps could be due to problems with the bearing or the impeller pieces.
How much does it cost to replace BMW water pump?
The average cost for a BMW 328i water pump replacement is between $649 and $728. Labor costs are estimated between $266 and $336 while parts are priced between $383 and $393.
Can you drive a car with a bad water pump?
However, it not advisable to keep driving a car with a bad water pump because it can lead to overheating which will eventually result in complete damage of your car engine. With a bad water pump in a car, certainly, the car will move but, if you do not act fast by replacing it, it can cause the engine system to fail.
When should I replace my BMW water pump?
About Water Pump Replacement
Water pumps are designed to last at least 100,000 miles, however, if your water pump fails, you should replace it with a high-quality original-equipment level unit. Less expensive replacement pumps are available, but they might only have a service life of 30,000 miles.
What are signs of bad water pump?
Symptoms of a Bad or Failing Water Pump
- Coolant leak at the front-center of your car.
- Water pump pulley is loose and making whining sounds.
- Engine is overheating.
- Steam coming from your radiator.
How can you tell if your water pump is going bad?
Common signs include coolant leaks at the front-center of the car, loose water pump pulley, overheating engine, and steam coming from the radiator.
How long do BMW electric water pumps last?
On these water pumps, we suggest replacement at the 80,000 mile interval. Failure usually occurs very soon after the car hits this milage mark.
What kind of noise does a bad water pump make?
If you hear a high-pitched, whining sound that increases as you accelerate – it could indicate a faulty water pump. These sounds are caused by a loose belt and the belt becomes loose when the pulley is loose or the bearings are wearing out.
Can I replace a water pump myself?
The location of the water pump in relation to the engine can vary by application. Whether you can replace it yourself depends on how much experience you have. The more complex the engine, the higher the level of difficulty for pump replacement.
How many hours does it take to replace a water pump?
On average, water pump replacement is a 3 hour job. You may pay less if you buy the pump yourself and give it to the mechanic to install, though use caution and make sure to buy the parts from a reputable source. Make and model of vehicle can have a significant effect on total cost.
How do you bleed a water pump?
- Step 1 – Turn off the power.
- Step 2 – Protect against water damage.
- Step 3 – Turn off the water at the shut-off and gat valve.
- Step 4 – Slowly remove the pump bleed screw.
- Step 5 – Mop up all the water that trickles out of the pump.
- Step 6 – Screw the bleed screw back into place.
- Step 7 – Turn on the power.